2022 – May 19th
Minutes: Board Meeting Nordic Fertility Society
Date: May 19th-20th, 2022
Meeting venue: Scandic CPH Strandpark
Thursday May 19th, 15:00 - 18:00; Friday May 20th 9:00-12:00
|Invited:||Marjut Otala (FI), Astrid Helene Sydtveit (N), Steinunn Thorsteinsdottir (IC), Kirsten Louise Tryde Macklon (DK), Ann Thurin Kjellberg (S), Antti Perheentupa (FI), Sirpa Mäkinen (FI), Janni Vikkelsø Jeppesen (DFS), Stina Järvholm (SSRM), Hildegunn Stoum (NOFAB), Hanna Savolainen-Peltonen (SFY)|
|Not present:||Hanna Savolainen-Peltonen (SFY)|
- Secretary of the meeting
Thursday; Stina Friday; Marjut
- News from the national societies
DK National meeting has taken place and had about 400 attendants; NO National meeting has taken place and had about 150 attendants; SE National meeting is up-coming in June and expected to be well visited. There has also been changes in regulations about testing before donation treatment which makes it more complicated than before.; FI National meeting took place in November and was well visited even though it was a hybrid meeting. In FI there is a committee staring up and among other things are discussing the inclusion criterions for ART treatment. IS; Discussions have started up about allowing embryo donation and funding of FET. IS is planning for starting up a donor bank.
- NFS 2022, in Helsinki
- Registration; Today 175 participants are registered (115 “paying”) others are invited speakers exhibitors board etc. 12 Bronze 7 Silver and 3 Gold sponsors are signed up for the conferences.
- Workshops; Three workshop will take place. Two are already almost fully booked.
- Abstracts & Poster promenade; Friday morning lead by Anja Pinborg DK, Probably about 12 abstracts; 6 for poster and 6 for oral. 10000 DK for best oral and free registration for up-coming meeting 2024 for best poster.
- Scientific program is completed, just one speaker TBA.
- Social Program (including grants); Thursday at Wanha Satama; buffet dinner, chime choir
Friday at the meeting venue; Congress dinner, grants for best oral and best poster will be awarded at the dinner. There will be a live band and show.
- Tasks and staff in the meeting
- Budget; Is calculated for 350 participants, probably we will be less. Some costs are fixed and some are per participants. The total budget is app. 220 881 euro. Calculated income is app 90’ registrations fee and app 157’ from sponsors.
- Board program (dinner and meeting); NFS will pay for travel costs for board. Congress will cover accommodation and congress fee. Board dinner will take place on Wednesday at 7 pm. Board meeting will take place on Thursday am 9:30-11.
- Other; chairs would be recruited from the board:-), speakers and locals. One Finnish and one other at every session is the goal.
- General Assembly
- Suggestions for chair, secretary, and auditors
Suggestion for chair: Antti
Suggestion for secretary: Steinunn
Suggestions for the two auditors: Steinunn will think of the two, maybe also from Iceland to ease the process of completing the GA minutes
- Presentation of the past and future education by NFS
New NFS education courses are in progress (see below).
- Treasurer’s report
Astrid will give the treasurer’s report
- Suggestions for chair, secretary, and auditors
- NILS in relation to NFS, plans for the future?
NILS will make a proposal for NFS of how it would like to proceed with a possible merge of the two societies, if that is what they would like to do. NFS is open and positive about this prospect.
- Change into by-laws
- credit card (status)
The statement for GA has been passed in Sweden, Denmark and Iceland. The national societies of Norway and Finland are yet to present the statement to their national societies.
- virtual meeting/GA
There is need for having a sentence in the by-laws that would allow virtual meetings and GA in case it is not possible to organize an on-site meeting/GA (for example in the case of a lock down by the state authorities).
“In case an on-site biannual meeting and/or general assembly cannot be held due to a force majeure situation, alternative solutions can be used, for example a virtual NFS meeting and/or general assembly can be arranged.”
- credit card (status)
- Next NFS meeting in Norway (Hildegunn)
- Hans Ivar Hanevik will be the chair of the next meeting
- probably held in Oslo
- week 33 or 34 in 2024. Norway will decide which week suits them better. Norway will have an invitation slide in Helsinki meeting that will state the place and the dates of the Norway 2022 meeting
- Collaboration with the New England Fertility Society, other collaborations?
NFS is awaiting for NEFS’ reply on when we could meet for planning the next NFS/NEFS meeting. NFS is interested in continuing the collaboration.
- Education provided by NFS, future plans (preparation courses for accreditation, talks on specific topic, general education…) (Antti)
The curriculum has been covered for nurses. Eshre may have some changes to the nurses/embryologists’ curriculum upcoming in the fall and after that NFS will see which topics are new and courses on those topics can be arranged.
In embryology there has been feedback that it would be nice to have more specific and deeper knowledge on some topics, as the exam questions can be very detailed. NFS embryologists will think of which topics would need more attention and give their suggestions on the topics (and speakers if possible) to Janni.
Future courses could follow the same outline as before: Ferring could be interested in sponsoring, as we have been given space from their company building before. Others could also be interested in sponsoring. Courses could start Thursday afternoon, dinner in the evening and continue till Friday noon. There might also be an opportunity for NILS to organize hands on courses in conjunction with the NFS lectures.
- NFS Economy and Budget (Astrid)
Budget balance 2021 is good. There is enough money on the account for one NFS meeting. This is considered essential as in case of a last minute cancellation of the meeting, large sums of money would be lost. This could theoretically be the case if there would for example be a new serious virus variant or in case of a quickly escalating national safety concern.
- Web pages (Steinunn)
Web pages look nice and are working well at the moment and we have new lectures uploaded on the pages (NFS/BFS webinars). It would be good to advertise the lectures. Steinunn gave numbers on how many people have been watching the videos on education courses and for how long. The board was pleased to learn that here is interest towards the recordings.
- Next President
Board’s candidate for the next president of NFS is Stina Järvholm. Stina has accepted.
- Next meeting
Next meeting will be held in Helsinki before the start of the congress on Thursday. A dinner will be arranged for the board on Wednesday evening around 19 o’clock.
- Matters arising
The society would need a new logo. Hildegunn has experience on having a tendering for the designers for creating a logo. Hildegunn will return to this topic shortly in order to see whether we could finalize the new logo before the Helsinki meeting, where it could be introduced.
Proposal for the future NFS biannual meetings: NFS could invite a guest fertility society to the meeting. This society could for example have a small session in the NFS meeting with its own relevant topics and speakers. NFS could pay for 3-4 people to attend (junior members?). Kirsten will make a draft of the plan for this new type of collaboration.
May 22, 2022
President of the Nordic Fertility Society